OF DIRECTOR’S MEETING
Friends of Ives Pool/WSCS
Board Meeting, 18 May 2009
Sebastopol City Hall
In attendance: Alan Siegle, Virginia Porter, Lynn Deedler, Roger Klein, Eric Fritsch. Ricardo Freitas, Pool Manager .
Meeting called to order at 6:10 pm.
Approval of minutes of the April meeting was postponed until our next regular Board mtg. in June.
Members of the Public: Lyn Lemaire, Barbara Deedler, Alice McNair.
- Lyn Lemaire requested the membership list so that she may use it to campaign for election to the Board. The Board denied her request citing concerns for privacy of our members. We explained that all candidates will be given space in the election mailing to be sent to all members and that additional opportunities will be provided at the pool.
- Barbara Deedler criticized the Board for failing to adequately announce the Board meeting, which also was to have been our annual meeting. Nothing was posted on the website, nor was there proper notice posted at the pool.
- Alice McNair introduced herself, said that she participated in aqua aerobics 3x a week, and was possibly interested in serving on the Board.
Nominating Committee Report
- Alan, who is running for re-election, turned the gavel over to Virginia for this report.
- The Nominating Committee has interviewed 3 members to date but has yet to conduct interviews with several others who have expressed interest. Virginia suggests that we postpone the annual mtg. until after Memorial Day. This will allow the Committee to complete its work and enable the Board to better announce the nomination process.
- Annual mtg is postponed until Wednesday, May 27 at 6:30pm. It will be held at the pool.
Chlorine System Update
- Alan reports that the old chlorine generator gave out completely 10 days ago and that consequently Russ, of Public Works, has had to use liquid chlorine to keep the pool properly chlorinated. The new system was to have been installed over a week ago, though Alan has now been promised that that will occur starting tomorrow. We have been told that the installation will not disrupt pool programs.
- Virginia has spoken with Mike Swaney regarding the contract renewal. Mike did not object to any of the provisions of the contract. He is very eager that the Sea Serpents have some space at the pool which can serve as an office and which can be secured. Virginia suggested that we can address this need in the short term until such time that a permanent solution to the needs of both the Sea Serpents and Friends of Ives Pool for adequate office space is realized.
- Motion: Roger moves and Lynn seconds that Ricardo be directed to meet with Mike to find space at the pool that can be used by the Sea Serpents as a temporary office. All in favor.
- The breezeway between the storage room and the guard locker room is under consideration. Mike envisions a storage space for files and supplies as well as a working surface for desk work.
Pool Manager Report
- Ricardo met with Maren Heinze regarding the shortage of showers in the women’s locker room at the end of Aqua Aerobics classes and Ricardo’s need for the pool to be cleared promptly at the end of class. The possibility of shifting the class time was rejected as being inconvenient to some of the participants. No resolution to this problem yet.
- 30 annual passes have been sold.
- Sunrise Rotary has granted us $500 for the purchase of a lane line.
- Swim lessons are being conducted for Spanish speaking adults. Classes are being held on Fridays at 7pm. There are 4 participants.
- Ricardo has found an AED defibrillator that does not need servicing annually because it has a long life battery. This results in significant savings, however the unit costs $1,900-- $300 more than we have authorized.
- Motion: Virginia moves and Roger seconds that we authorize Ricardo to purchase this device. All in favor.
June meeting date
- Monday, June 22, 6pm, at City Hall.
Meeting adjourned at 7:45pm.
Executive session followed
Eric Fritsch, Secretary