Friends of Ives Pool/WSCS
Board Meeting, 1 June 2010
Sebastopol City Hall
In attendance: Virginia Porter, Alan Siegle, Eric Fritsch, Liza Prunuske, and Ricardo Freitas, Pool Manager. Lynn Deedler arrived about 7:15.
Members of the public: Barbara Deedler, Lyn Lemaire, Gail Snyder, George Trieste
Meeting called to order at 6:00 pm.
Minutes of April 19 and May 3 Board meetings were approved as amended by Eric Fritsch and Virginia Porter.
- Virginia interviewed attorneys with Liza and communicated with Barbara Deedler to keep her informed of Board activities regarding the Nancy Deedler gitt.
- May was a full month at the pool. 200 kids participated In Rotary Club’s Learn to Swim program. Supervisor Efren Carillo visited one day in the pouring rain to watch.
- Ricardo attended a meeting of the Sebastopol City Council where May was proclaimed “Drowning Prevention Month.”
- Ricardo also attended a Planning Commission meeting regarding long-term planning for Ives Park.
- He also attended a Certified Pool Operator course to renew his certification.
- Ricardo asked that the Board discuss a comment in the Suggestion box at the next meeting. The comment was a request to allow children from age 12-16 to participate in lap swim if they are supervised by an adult, regardless of how many people are in the pool. The Board agreed to discuss at the next meeting
- Alan reported that the income is about the same as last year at this time, although expenses are slightly higher, primarily due to the locker room painting and repairs.
- Alan is working with the bookkeeper to research the amount of interest accrued by the Nancy Deedler gift. He will have a report for the next meeting.
Assistant Pool Manager job description
- The Board unanimously approved the draft description prepared by Virginia as amended to clarify that the Pool Manager hires the Assistant Pool Manager.
Summer schedule update
- Lesson sign-ups are good. They were a little slow the last (and very rainy) week of May.
- Eric clarified that parents, spouses, or children helping an employee with their regular job duties, such as putting on the pool cover, is not covered by our liability insurance policy.
- Mike Rowan is handling the fireworks booth for Sea Serpents. Virginia will contact Mike to find out about when we can sign up.
- Pool will be closed for a week after Labor Day to fix the bottom of the pool. STS will be doing the repairs under a contract with the City and could potentially repair the floor at that time.
- Board discussed merits and risks of accepting STS offer to repair the floors in the locker rooms after repeated poor performance.
- Lynn Deedler made a motion that a letter be written to STS stating that the Board does not accept their offer to repair the floor, and instead requesting payment of $5,000. The motion passed 4-1, with Lynn voting against the motion.
- Alan and Liza are the Election Committee this year. They need to recommend a slate of candidates by the annual meeting in September.
- Liza will add a reminder in the meeting highlights that membership must be current in order to vote.
- Next meeting will be June 21.
- A combined July/August meeting will be held August 9. The September meeting is scheduled for September 20.
Items of interest from Board Members
- Eric Fried requested that the Board consider amending the by-laws to allow the Board to take action during executive session.