OF DIRECTOR’S MEETING
Friends of Ives Pool/WSCS
Board Meeting, 21 June 2010
Sebastopol City Hall
In attendance: Virginia Porter Eric Fritsch, Liza Prunuske
Members of the public: Lyn Lemaire
Meeting called to order at 6:05 pm.
A motion was made by Eric Fritsch and seconded by Liza Prunuske to approve the June 1 minutes. The motion passed 3-0.
- Lyn Lemaire thanked the Board for opening the pool for early morning lap swim on Memorial Day.
- Virginia checked in with Ricardo twice before he went on vacation to make sure everything was handled during his absence.
- She was in touch with Mike Rowan about the fireworks booth.
- She continued to work with Liza on a legal opinion regarding the Nancy Deedler gift.
- Ricardo submitted his written report.
- Sign-ups have been good. A full staff of instructors has been hired.
- The sign-up book is at the pool.
- As Lynn Deedler was on vacation, there was no new information presented.
Teens in lap swim
- The Board reviewed Ricardo’s recommendation as presented in the attached memo to allow youth 12 and over to participate in lap swim when accompanied by an adult beginning August 23.
- All Board members present agreed that Ricardo’s recommendation was sound and supported him in making the decision.
Bylaw revision regarding actions in closed session
- The by-laws currently do not allow the Board to take action in a closed session.
- After discussion regarding restrictions on the kinds of decisions that would be allowed in closed session and the most appropriate location for the change in the bylaws, Virginia Porter made the following motion:
Adapt the bylaws to amend Article 4, Section 7 as follows:
- Change the title of Section 7 from “Regular and Annual Meetings” to “Meetings”;
- Add Section 7 (f) to read, “Closed sessions can be called to discuss and take action as the Board deems appropriate on matters involving litigation, potential litigation, personnel issues, and the sale or acquisition of real property .”
- Strike the last paragraph of Article 5, Section 4 (Duties of the President) that reads: Closed sessions may be called by any member of the Board for the purpose of conducting confidential discussions on sensitive material. Closed session may not set policy nor may a vote be taken, but will advise and assist the Directors of the corporation in matters concerning its interests and the management of its affairs, and shall have such other powers as may be delegated to it by the Board.”
- Liza Prunuske seconded the motion. It passed 3-0.
Facebook page for Ives Pool
- Ricardo has requested the Board consider a Facebook page for the pool.
- The Board discussed benefits and concerns. Ricardo would need to monitor the page regularly to update it and screen content. The page would need to be closed or frozen while he was gone, or the monitoring assigned to another person There was also discussion on a need to update the website.
- The Board requested that Ricardo further develop the Facebook page idea along with standards and protocol for maintaining it.
- Next meeting will be August 9.
Items of interest from Board Members
Meeting adjourned at 6:45.