OF DIRECTOR’S MEETING
Friends of Ives Pool/WSCS
Board Meeting, 22 June 2009
Sebastopol City Hall
In attendance: Alan Siegle, Virginia Porter, Roger Klein, Eric Fritsch. Ricardo Freitas, Pool Manager .
Members of the Public: Lyn Lemaire, Liza Prunuske
Meeting called to order at 6:10 pm.
Eric , Virginia & Roger conducted the election tally. 55 ballots were received. 2 of those ballots were rejected because they were not enclosed in the official return envelope as is required. The vote tallies are as follows:
Liza Prunuske: 44
Alan Siegle: 36
Lyn Lemaire: 22
Liza and Alan were declared the winners and offered our congratulations.
Minutes of the 20 April and 18 May Board meetings and the 27 May Special and Annual Meeting were approved as submitted.
- Alan & Ricardo attended the Solar Fair. Alan recommends postponing any action on a solar water heating system for the bathhouse until the end of year: additional incentives will likely be available then. Will do more research
- Alan suggests that we undertake a P,G&E commercial audit of electrical use.
- End-of-Year Parties successful: many good comments from those attending.
- We have 2 new pool sponsors,though one former sponsor has not renewed this year. $450 raised from sponsors.
- Dept. of Justice background checks nearly complete for all employees 18 and older.
- Vamos a Nadar a success: 39 kids attended. Efren Carrillo & Regional Parks Assistant Director made appearances.
- Summer Swim Lessons have begun. Attendance a bit low, though going smoothly and no complaints. Ricardo used telephone list from last year. Noticed some disconnects.
- Lifeguard shifts are full . Shifts have been easy to fill.
- Defibrillator has been ordered.
- Roger presented current financial statements: income is up slightly from last year as are expenses.
- Changes in swim lessons for parents & tots and first level are producing good results.
- Discussion of ways to encourage further participation by young swimmers at conclusion of highest level of lessons- level 6. Instituting a junior lifeguard program is being considered.
- Fall swim lessons under consideration
Chlorine System Update
- System was installed without interruption to pool programs as promised.
- System is functioning well.
- The Board wishes to thank Chris Condin for all her work analyzing our patterns of energy use and in assisting us in selecting the best system for our needs.
- Virginia reports that volunteer sign-ups so far have not been very high.
- Virginia reported that she had just earlier in the afternoon received an e-mail response from Mike regarding the contract and had not had a chance to review it.
- Eric offered to take the lead in reviewing Mike’s response and in conducting further discussion with SSS. Virginia and Ricardo will participate.
Week-End Lap Swim
- Lyn Lemaire and other lap swimmers have requested that the pool be opened early Sunday for lap swimming. They noted that the Saturday morning lap swim was well attended and believe that Sunday am will be also.
- The Board agrees that any changes to current schedule will take place in August. Ricardo asked to bring back to the Board potential schedule changes reflecting patterns of usage during Saturday morning lap swim and the desire of some swimmers for a Sunday morning session.
- Any changes affecting Aqua Aerobics will only be made with consultation of the affected classes.
Board Policy Review and New Member Orientation
- Policy Review postponed until future meeting.
- Ricardo requests that election schedule be changed to take place during a less hectic time of year.
- Virginia to review election timing along with other potential changes to our by-laws.
- Ricardo to arrange a tour of the pool facility for Liza.
- Virginia to transmit a copy of the Board binder to Liza.
- Board agrees to postpone this item until the next meeting.
Next Meeting Monday,10 August, 6pm, at City Hall
Meeting adjourned 8:10 pm Executive session followed
Respectfully submitted, Eric Fritsch, Secretary