Ives Pool, Sebastopol, Calif. 707 823-8693
 

WWCSC BOARD OF DIRECTOR’S MEETING

Minutes

Friends of Ives Pool/WSCS

Board Meeting, 25 January 2010

Sebastopol City Hall

 

In attendance: Virginia Porter, Lynn Deedler, Alan Siegle, Eric Fritsch, Liza Prunuske. Ricardo Freitas, Pool Manager

Members of the Public: Lisa Jacob

Meeting called to order at 6:00 pm.

 Minutes of 8 December Board meeting were approved as amended by Virginia Porter.

 PUBLIC COMMENT

  • No public comment.

REPORTS

 President

  • Mike Rowan of Sebastopol Sea Serpents and Virginia will set up regular meetings and include Ricardo and Lehla.
  • Virginia and Ricardo had their regular check-in.

Pool Manager

  • Ricardo is still working on resolution of the break-in that occurred a year ago.
  • 36 people hold annual passes—the most ever.
  • Locker room painting has been delayed because of repair needed in mens’.
  • Lynn informed Ricardo that 2 showerheads in the men’s locker room were missing. Ricardo said he would replace them.

 Treasurer

  • Ives Pool ended the year with a net income of $28,086 which has been added to our operational reserves. This amount represents a decline in income from 2008. Although our gross income was slightly higher in 2009 than in 2008, expenditures were higher.

  OLD BUSINESS

 Locker Room Update/Next Steps with STS

  • When notified that Friends of Ives Pool was ready to file another complaint regarding STS to the Contractors Licensing Board, STS responded promptly. They are meeting Lynn at the pool January 26 and have stated that they want to take care of the problem.
  • Board members asked Lynn to request a “game plan” in writing from STS that thoroughly describes what they will do.
  • The repairs will require closing the Pool. Board members considered the best time for such a closure including combining it with the pool resurfacing.
  • The Board thanked Lynn for his effort.

Annual fund/membership drive and ideas for next year

  • 114 people are now members, including 36 new members.
  • $1,895 received so far for general fund, $265 for capital fund, $365 for scholarships, and $325 for Latino outreach. Including the memberships, the drive brought in about $4,000.
  • The printing and postage cost $2,300 for a net of approximately $1,700. Board members agreed that we need to find a more efficient way to handle the membership drive. Suggestions included mailing a postcard, mailing to fewer people, including a mailer in the Sebastopol utility bill, and encouraging membership registration at the Pool.

 Outreach boards for locker rooms.

  • Ricardo showed the bulletin boards. They will be installed after the painting.

 Locker room painting update

  • The painter is waiting for the City to fix the roof leak in the men’s room.

NEW BUSINESS

 Ives Park shooting update

  • Ricardo attended a City meeting. The City and others are working on a solution to restore safety.

 Election timing

  • Virginia requested that the Board consider moving the election from summer to fall. The election now falls during the busiest time for the Pool staff.
  • The Board members agreed that a change in timing made good sense. Virginia will bring proposed changes to the bylaws to the next meeting.

Women’s bath house remodel

  • Ricardo shared sketches of his idea to expand the women’s locker room to add more showers and additional benches.
  • Ricardo will talk to the City.
  • If Board members have suggestions for architects, please get them to Ricardo.
  • Lynn, Alan, Liza, and Eric all expressed interest in working on this project.

Water heater for showers

  • The water heater for the showers is 30 years old and no longer efficient.
  • Last year, Fox Mechanical submitted a bit for $16,000 for a new tankless, on-demand system that would be 95% efficient.
  • The Pool now spends about $200/month on heating shower water.
  • The Board instructed Ricardo to get two more bids and to make sure the system is sized for the additional women’s showers.
  • Liza will investigate if grant funds for locker room expansion could also include energy-efficient hot water heating. (And new benches!)

Next Meeting: Monday 1 March 2010, 6pm at City Hall.

Meeting adjourned 8:00 pm

Respectfully submitted, Liza Prunuske, Secretary