Ives Pool, Sebastopol, Calif. 707 823-8693

Meeting Minutes - Approved

WSCS Board of Directors 

Monday, February 21, 2005

Palm Drive Hospital

6:30 Meeting called to order by President Tom Hemphill

In attendance: Tom Hemphill, Lynn Deedler, Alan Siegle, Virginia Porter, Ricardo Freitas.

Board members absent: Eric Fritsch

Review and approval of January 17, 2004 minutes  - Minutes were approved as submitted.

Public Comment - none


President’s Report

  • Tom reported that he met with a key supporter regarding future funding
  • Tom and Ricardo met with Ricardo’s academic program adviser to define Ricardo’s work experience goals which include
    • developing a garden on Willow Street near the pool under the “Adopt a Landscape” program
    • researching and becoming a Certified Pool Operator (Ricardo will attend certification training April 14/15)
    • research web site options now that Monitor is no longer in business
    • implementing the voice-mailbox function of our voicemail system

Treasurer's Report

  • Alan reported that we now have one year with the software MYOB and it is working well
  • Alan distributed the profit and loss statement which was reviewed by the board, and compared to a comparable period from 2004. The board noted that the finances look good for 2005 to date.
  • Alan updated that about 27 solar panels have been sold to date for the solar project and we now have about $15K donated for solar panels. Additionally, we have adequate funds to pay down part of the loan for the solar project as the board had previously stated as a goal. Alan made a motion that we put $30K toward paying down the loan for the project, with approximately half coming from solar donations and half coming from our general operations account. All approved.
  • The board discussed the plaque to acknowledge the sponsors of the solar panels. Lynn will look into this and report back at the next meeting. Lynn recommended stainless steel or aluminum rather than brass for the plaque.

Pool Manager’s Report

  • Ricardo submitted a written Pool Manager’s Report
  • Ricardo reported that he participated in a regional “round table” for pool managers
  • Swim lesson sign ups are coming in, and Ricardo is sending invoices by e-mail. Ricardo noted that everything with swim lessons is ahead of last year’s schedule
  • Caleb is working with Ricardo 4 hours per week as an assistant
  • Ricardo contacted the Chamber of Commerce to let them know that we would like to have the pool opened during the Apple Blossom Festival. The Chamber saw no problem with this plan. The board discussed having a membership and information drive during the festival but no action was taken on this topic.

Facilities Report – Lynn noted that there are several projects in his court to complete which he will be doing.

Marketing Report  - Virginia reported that the Marketing Committee has developed an annual list of Ives Pool activities and is working at “mapping” the path from beginning to end on each activity. The Committee will be coming to the Board for approval of their work as this project develops.


Board decision process – carried over to next meeting

Policy manual: creation and update  - carried over to next meeting

Web site administrator – covered in pool manager’s report

Identification of long-term replacement of the physical plant - carried over to next meeting

By law revisions and clean-up  - Attempts to find the revisions which removed Sea Serpents language from the by laws have not been successful so Eric and Virginia will work with our current draft and try to bring recommendations to the board for revisions at the March or April meeting. Virginia and Tom will work on the name change filing with the state.

Locker room improvements

  • Alan will check in with Solar Works about solar hot water heading
  • The board discussed the maintenance and surface of the locker room floors. Lynn and Tom will look into floor resurfacing.


Apple Blossom Festival – covered in pool manager’s report

Willow Street Garden – covered in president’s report


  • The board appointed Eric, Lynn and Virginia as the nominating committee for the 2005 board elections.
  • Tom will call SSS to meet about the fireworks booth soon
  • The board confirmed that the SSS contract was signed and concurred that we would remove the SSS “receivable” item from the balance sheet.

                       Meeting Adjourned at 8:10

Submitted by Virginia Porter, Secretary

  Ives Home . Rates . Programs . Pool Hours . Activities Calendar . Newsletter . Contact Board . Board Agendas. Board Meet Locations . Monthly Minutes . Archives . By Laws . Sea Serpents . Aqua Aerobics . Lap Swim . Masters Swim . Water Hockey . Aqua Therapy . Swim Lessons . Party Rental . High School Schedule . Instructors Schedule