Ives Pool, Sebastopol, Calif. 707 823-8693


Friends of Ives Pool/WSCS

Board Meeting, 15 December 2008

Sebastopol City Hall

In attendance: Alan Siegle, Virginia Porter, Lynn Deedler, Roger Klein, Eric Fritsch. Ricardo Freitas, Pool Manager.

Members of the Public: Lyn Lemaire, Barbara Deedler

Executive session preceded public meeting.

Meeting called to order at 6:35 pm.

Minutes of 20 October mtg. approved.

Minutes of 17 November mtg. approved.

Public comment .

Lyn Lemaire offered the following criticisms:

  • Minutes not posted on Ives pool website in timely manner.
  • Agendas of upcoming mtgs. not posted either.
  • Some of the proposals under discussion to attract new guards are either unfair or inappropriate.
  • Board is not responsive to legitimate requests from public and is not fulfilling its mission to serve the best interests of the community.

Barbara Deedler objects to the Board’s decision not to meet privately with her (and Lyn Lemaire) so that she may express her concerns confidentially. She has concerns regarding the Board response to the slippery condition of the floors following the original resurfacing during the pool closure.



  • In light of the late hour and agenda items remaining, Alan foregoes report.

Pool Manager

  • See written report
  • 84 swimmers used pool on Thanksgiving.
  • Pool will be open New Year’s Day.
  • Evett Wilbur, Roger and Ricardo reinstalled benches. Not an easy job. Evett deserves a big thank you from us for his contributions.
  • Ricardo noted that the pool bottom is delaminating and that STS has sent representatives to the pool to assess pool condition.
  • Ricardo has ordered pool drain grates to bring pool into compliance with recently enacted regulations requiring them.


  • Roger presented current financial statements and the proposed 2009 budget. Full discussion is postponed until next meeting.
  • Virginia noted that she and Roger are completing actions necessary to reinvest our assets in accord with Board directions.

Old Business  

  • Additional week-end lap swim hours . Ricardo notes pool still understaffed with lifeguards. Discussion ensues regarding ways to recruit additional guards. Posting notices and advertising are suggested. Ricardo presents Board with letter he has sent to summer swim instructors encouraging them to consider becoming lifeguards and listing certification class dates. Ricardo to post notice on website as soon as practicable. Further steps to be undertaken as needed.
  • Ricardo proposes instituting Saturday morning lap swim from 7:45 to 9:15 beginning in early February on a trial basis.
  • Bathhouse update Lynn has been in touch with STS regarding the irregularities at the wall/floor angle. Nothing definitive has been agreed to by STS.
  • Chlorine generation system Chris is in process of gathering information which will allow her to advise us on our best options.
  • Membership Drive and Letter Letters have begun to arrive in mailboxes despite some glitches on the part of our bulk mailing service. Ricardo reports that we have 45 members so far. This total includes renewing members and well as new members.
  • SSS agreement Ricardo and Alan to meet with Mike Sweeney, President of the SSS, to discuss contract renewal.
  • Employee background checks Virginia reports some difficulty navigating the Dept of Justice website. Nonetheless she believes that we will have the necessary approvals and procedures in place to permit us to begin screening employees by February 1.

New Business

  • Tentative meeting dates as follows :
    Monday, January 26
    Monday, February 23
  • Solar Works Proposal Solar Works as offered to extend the warranty on the 7 inverters for an additional 5 years at a cost of $1,000. Alan will find out more about this offer and report to the Board at our next mtg.

Meeting adjourned at 8:30. Executive session followed.

Respectfully submitted,

Eric Fritsch, Secretary